Overview: This course is aimed at those persons required to access confined spaces classified at NC4, high risk spaces including multi-level chambers and is designed to cover the essential legislation, working practices and safety requirements.
The training includes the use of respiratory protective equipment for work access to confined spaces (positive pressure breathing apparatus, both self-contained and hose-fed). The course covers the selection, use, inspection checks and management of working breathing apparatus, including duration calculations.
Duration: 3 Days
Ratio: Max 6 students to 1 instructor.
Prerequisites: Candidates should be physically fit and medically capable of using positive pressure breathing apparatus – contact us for more information on influencing conditions. Candidates with spectacles should contact us for advice. This course is physically demanding.
Who Should Attend: Persons who are required to work in confined spaces or dangerous atmospheres using positive pressure breathing apparatus. This module is not suitable training for the use of breathing apparatus in fire fighting, mining or diving operations.
- Confined space legislation
- Definitions & recognition of confined space
- Confined space examples & categories
- Communications/emergency actions
- Watchman duties
- Safe system of work/PPE/permit to work
- Risk assessment/method statement
- Equipment characteristics and limitations
- Equipment maintenance and inspection requirements
- Vertical shaft entry and egress (using ladders)
- Access including detachment from recovery line
- Use of tripod & winch
- Dangerous atmospheres
- Review of gas detection equipment
- Breathing apparatus checks, selection and donning
- Time duration calculations and board management of BA users
- Operations in zero visibility
- Emergency procedures
Cost: £450 +VAT per candidate
This is a three day course.
Candidates will need to bring appropriate PPE including gloves and overalls.
Successful candidates receive a certificate valid for 3 years.